Man jailed for being in possession of a firearm

[Image of the recovered ammunition]
A man has been sentenced for being in possession of a firearm

Appearing at Wood Green Crown Court on Wednesday, 13 May, Aristotle Omar, 23 (06.09.96) of Wellington Avenue, N18, was sentenced to five years’ imprisonment.

Omar had previously pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm and possession of ammunition, at an earlier hearing on Wednesday, 6 May at the same court.

Detective Inspector Glenn Butler, from the Met’s Specialist Crime North team, said: “As part of an investigation into firearm offences, my team were able to arrest Omar and recover a firearm and ammunition that could very easily have been used to seriously injure or kill someone. Thanks to a lot of proactive work, with the support of colleagues from the Met’s Firearms Command, we were able to arrest him safely and recover a lethal weapon.”

On the afternoon of Thursday, 5 March at approximately 17:40hrs, Aristotle Omar was seen leaving his home address carrying a black Armani manbag.

Omar was seen to enter the alleyway which leads through from Wellington Avenue to Eastbournia Avenue, N18. He was observed clutching the bag as he entered Barrowfield Close, however officers lost sight of him as he ran through Barrowfield Close.

At this point, specialist firearms officers pursued Omar as he ran through an alleyway onto Montagu Road where he was then detained in a park area just off of Zambezi Drive.

DI Butler, added: “When Omar was arrested, he did not have the bag – that we had seen moments earlier – on him, so officers scoured the vicinity to find it. It just so happened that it had been raining all day so the floor was soaked.

“Underneath a hedge at the corner of Barrowfield Close we found the bag. It stood out as it had clearly been dumped there, it was bone dry and everything around it wet.”

When officers opened the bag, they found a firearm (a revolver) and five rounds of ammunition.

Omar was arrested for being in possession of a firearm at 17:50hrs and taken to a north London police station for questioning where he provided ‘no comment’ answers throughout.

He was charged the following day, Friday, 6 March.

DI Butler, said: “The evidence placed in front of Omar was indisputable and he pleaded guilty. This saved a lot of time, allowing my officers to return back to their duties, continuing to target those involved in serious firearm criminality, retrieving further dangerous weapons from our streets and protecting those that live in London.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *